Friday, March 25, 2011

Thursday tidbits 3/24/11

A Quote

Tim Tebow talked about his upcoming commercials and photos advertising Jockey underwear:

"People may say it's underwear, but everyone wears underwear -- it's not like I'm doing something risque...I really take pride in what I endorse and what I attach my name to. It's my character and what I stand for."

I'll just let you decide which morsel in there you find the most hilarious. But to be clear, I am the one who underlined the last bit. I am a big Tebow fan, but this is nothing but high comedy.

A Video

Let's stick with comedy. Courtesy of Warning Track Power correspondent Michael R. Mason, here is a video of PGA Tour golfer Ben Crane's workout routine. When I have something bottled up inside me, I go with the sledge wand. Ben Crane plays so slow he should start tournaments on Wednesday (credit: David Schaffner), but this video makes up for a lot of that annoying tendency.

A Photo

He may be on a rival team, but I am in awe of Brian Wilson. He is reaching new heights in facial hair glory with his current beard situation. It's starting to look like his hair and beard came straight off the shelf of rejected costume ideas for Gangs of New York. Check out this picture of him as part of Fox Sports' list of eccentric baseball players.

P.S. - he wears stupid high-top shoes and his pants are way too tight. OK, now I feel better. Had to get a totally biased Rockies fan comment in there.

A Tweet

@JayBilas: Jimmer a great college player, but he couldn't guard a bank with a machine gun. Guys going by him at will. He had a GREAT year, though.

As sports news gets more serious and frustrating with reports from labor conflicts and steroid trials, it's always good to find commentators who remind us that this is all for fun. Granted, Jay Bilas makes some especially biting comments, but the metaphors he uses in his scouting reports are consistently hilarious. Here are my other favorites:

1. About my favorite current NBA player Kevin Love when he was coming out of UCLA, Bilas said that he had a good body fat ratio "for a seal."

2. Two comments about Adam Morrison's defensive ability when he was coming out of Gonzaga: Bilas said that he "couldn't guard a chair" and that he was as good as a "traffic cone" on the defensive end.

Now tell me at least one of those did not make you laugh.

A Week...

...until Opening Day 2012 for the Colorado Rockies.

A Reason...

...that I am a blogger and not a sports "expert." The Duke Blue Devils and my theory about guard play in college basketball got steamrolled by Derrick Williams and the University of Arizona. We'll see about the other teams I mentioned.

Wait....BYU lost too?

Having Said That...

...look for Warning Track Power's 2011 Baseball Picks Extravaganza early next week!

Links

Ian Thomsen writes about what NBA scouts are looking for in the NCAA tournament http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/03/25/sixth.man/index.html?eref=sihp

Rick Reilly debunks the Jimmer Fredette myth http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6257636

Tim Brown on the importance of Prince Fielder http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ajq2cjPnmIRJfynimpfoW.45nYcB?slug=ti-prince_fielder_032311

No comments:

Post a Comment