Friday, September 24, 2010

Thursday tidbits 9/23/10 (on Friday!)

A Quote

Vikings quarterback Brett Favre had this to say about their stumbling offense after an 0-2 start:

"It's hard to be patient and try to get this puzzle pieced together, because we're doing it as we play."

Brett, remind us all why you're doing it "as you play?" That's right...because you used your 'will I or won't I retire' scam to miss training camp again. If you do that, you absolutely cannot make this excuse for your ineffectiveness. That is far too maddening for any fan base to accept, especially one as dedicated as the one in Minnesota. And there was a second result of you holding out (double meaning intended) on your decision. You got more money. That was even after you said it wasn't about the money.

These inconsistencies put extra pressure on old man Favre to perform, and he better worry about doing exactly that and keeping his mouth shut in the process.

A Video

Here is the link to a video of Marc Stein (ESPN) reporting on the latest developments regarding Carmelo Anothony. The supposedly serious rumor has the Nuggets getting Derrick Favors, Andrei Kirilenko, and multiple first round picks in a 4 team deal involving the Nets, Jazz, and Bobcats.

I hope it's true. Certainly it's a gamble, but what isn't when you're talking about dealing a player on the level of the 'Melo man? Favors is a raw and unproven commodity, but he projects out to be exactly the kind of big man the Nuggets sorely need. AK47 has pestered the Nuggets for years, and while he is fragile, he might be the kind of defensive-minded role player who can bring some balance to a shooter-happy roster. He also might take some of the pressure off Aaron Afflalo when it comes to guarding the other team's best guy night in and night out. As for the 1st round picks, I'm a Nuggets fan so I have no idea if that's good or bad. I don't remember what a 1st round pick looks like.

A Photo

If you need a laugh, check out this SI.com photo gallery of mascots fighting, inspired by "Rufus" from Ohio attacking Brutus Buckeye. I am not nearly as anti-mascot as some, but I see great potential if more of them physically attack each other. Also, I couldn't be prouder that Denver Nuggets mascot "Rocky" made two appearances in this gallery. But seriously, let's think about this: Dinger (the Rockies big purple dinosaur) jumping the Phillie Phanatic? The Stanford Cardinal Tree fist fighting Ralphie the Buffalo? Sign me up.

A Tweet

@SteveMartinToGo: Forced kid to take my autograph. He was crying. Idiot.

This has nothing to do with sports, but it makes me laugh every time. If it seems random, that's because it is. Following Steve Martin on twitter was probably the best decision I made this week.

A Fantasy Football Rant

Let's go back 3 weeks. Being the saavy veteran I am, I saw an opportunity to get one step ahead of my league. I stocked up early in my draft on running backs and receivers, and waited to draft a quarterback. The depth of productive quarterbacks combined with the pass-happy, spread offense nature of the league meant I could wait until late and still have a good quarterback. Filled out the rest of my starting lineup with studs, grabbed a solid QB late, and I had the most well-rounded and consistent fantasy team. Right?

I drafted Kevin Kolb and Matthew Stafford.

Shut up.

1 comment:

  1. I agre. Stev. Marti. i. th. bes. thin. o. twitte. righ. no.

    ReplyDelete