Friday, June 24, 2011

Piggybacking: Jim Riggleman will never manage again

David Schoenfield (ESPN) and Joe Lemire (Sports Illustrated) both wrote columns yesterday in which they argued Jim Riggleman will never manage in MLB again. For those who missed it, Riggleman, now the former manager of the Washington Nationals, told management yesterday that they needed to pick up his contract option for next season or he would resign. They didn't, and he did. Right in the middle of the season, right afrer an exciting walk-off win, right as the Nationals finally gained some momentum in the standings, having won 11 of 12 games.

Schoenfield and Lemire both note that Riggleman's poor timing combined with his new reputation as a quitter and his underwhelming career managerial record (well below .500) mean no team will ever give him a sniff of a coaching opening. That got me to thinking about my sophomore year in college (stay with me).

I was furious with the residential life office for denying my request to live off campus for my junior year. I pounded out what I thought was a wicked and persuasive email, where I called the college, among other things, "money-grubbers." I threatened that if they did not reconsider my situation, I would have to transfer. My dear friend Mark looked over my shoulder and calmly said, essentially, "Yea...you can't actually send that." In that moment, I learned the valuable problem solving technique taught by so many people. If you're mad, write that really angry letter or email, put it aside, and then look at it again once you've cooled off. You know how this ends. You realize how you overreacted, and you're glad to have handled things like a grown up instead of making your tantrum part of the discussion. (Thanks Mark)

If I had sent that email, I would have been miserable with the decision within a week. And I have a feeling that when Jim Riggleman has some time to process his "principled stand" and the fact that he really will never manage again, he will slap himself on the forehead and wish he had just written a really mean note and left it in his office drawer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/12766/jim-riggleman-will-never-manage-again

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/06/23/riggleman.leaving.nationals/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a1

No comments:

Post a Comment