Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Why I hope Jeff George comes back to the NFL

I know what you're thinking. Jeffrey Scott George has not played in the NFL since 2001. It would be crazy for him to come back 10 years later at the age of 40 41 42 43 soon-to-be 44. Right?

Absolutely.

It would be nuts. It would be a circus.

It needs to happen.

We've all seen "Favre watch." Can you imagine the way ESPN and other networks would pick up "Jeff George watch?" That just scratches the surface when it comes to the numerous reasons that the NFL and one team in particular need him.

Let's go through the checklist:

1. He has a two syllable name that requires analysts and reporters to always say his full name: JEFF GEORGE. I can hear Trent Dilfer now: "When you talk about Jeff George, you talk about a quarterback who played in the National Football League and threw professional passes to professional receivers. If you tell me Jeff George has a bad attitude or that Jeff George is too old, I'll tell you that Jeff George is a professional quarterback who can help a professional team in the National Football League." Note: that is in a larger font to signal the fact that Trent Dilfer still does not understand that the little black thing with the wires that they clip to his sports coat is a microphone.

Am I excited to hear that analysis 20 hours a day on ESPN? Oh, I don't know, let me ask my friend Bart Scott:


2. There are multiple teams that have "all the other pieces" but now need a quarterback to push them over the hump and into the playoffs because of injuries. The Texans? Well they just signed Jake Delhomme, so they're all set! The Chiefs? Not anymore. 

The Bears? You bet. 

It's in the stars. Jeff George starred at the University of Illinois. The Bears have already dealt with Jay Cutler, who is this generation's Jeff George. People cannot decide if he is really a great teammate and competitor or just an ass hole. Like Jeff George, who will seamlessly slide into the Bears' locker room. In fact most of the Bears players probably just don't feel the same without an incredibly talented quarterback who always blames somebody else. 

Did I just call Jeff George, in 2011, incredibly talented? Sure did. Just check out this video of him shredding the University of Illinois practice field in 2009 in preparation for his glorious return to the NFL:



Which brings me to...

3. He knows he's still got it. Like #4, he holds workouts with local high school/college players to "stay in shape," complete with backwards cap and otherwise casual clothes (Favre still holds a slight edge since he wears jeans). Every year he announces he stands at the ready to help a team in need. Don't believe me? He said that he could shape up the Colts offense in a matter of days...this past September. That's right, in 2011 he still insisted he can help a team. I really don't think I can express my excitement about that enough (although this blog post is a good start).

4. A bonus reason he should come back. His mustache capability

5. Another bonus reason he should come back is this incredible video from the archives, courtesy of fellow blogger and avid Bears fan David Schaffner


Why I love this video:
  • Because I seriously enjoy the Backstreet Boys.
  • Al Michaels never once mentions the Vikings quarterback without using his full name: JEFF GEORGE. Count for yourself...three times he mentions him, three times he uses his full name.
  • Recently I tried to convince Moriah that we should name our first child dog Jeff George. She shot me down. I can't help but think this video will at least make her reconsider the possibility. Although I cannot complain about the name we decided on: Gordon Bombay (my other suggestions were Rod Beck and Ryan Leaf). But how can you not give a lot of thought to JEFF GEORGE after you see that video?
  • It contains a highlight of Jeff George successfully executing a flea-flicker. 
  • It foreshadows what will happen soon - Jeff George saving a team's hopes midseason. 
  • I remember every player in the intro song. Can you believe this was 12 years ago? I still remember having Mike Alstott on my first fantasy football team. OK now I feel old...maybe this is the only reason I don't love the video.
I can imagine each and every person reading this is now convinced. Pick up that phone Lovie Smith. It's time to send Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers and Robbie Gould on a helicoptor to pick up your soon-to-be-unretired savior: JEFF GEORGE.

2 comments:

  1. backstreet boys, dennis green, jeff george, AND hank williams, jr., quite the all star cast. Props to that PR department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple of further thoughts:

    1) Was suspended for most of the 1996 season, so it's like he didn't even play. That means he has at least a 14 solid games left.

    2) He joins a team = instant entertainment. See: vile gestures to home town fans. That means he sells tickets if nothing more than to have the fans yell disparaging comments and/or really expensive concessions which boosts revenue (Jacksonville Jaguars anyone???).

    3) In 2008 he said his arm felt like it was 28. That means his arm is really only 31. Unless it's dog years, in which case he couldn't be worse than Tyler Palko.

    Great article. Saw "Jeff George" in the old facebook feed and had to read. You know what would really get an article viral? A Jeff George article in the mold of a "Dougie's Going Deep" framework. Keep up the good work. E Splett.

    ReplyDelete