Monday, April 18, 2011

Dave's Hacker Guide: Callaway Razr Hawk Driver


2011 Callaway Razr Hawk Driver

I am going to start taking this blog in a new direction with in depth golf equipment reviews. By in depth, I am talking about the every day player and their relation with the reviewed product. I'm not going to spit out ridiculous statistics or specifications, but rather funny stories from my experiences with the club or with others using the club.

The Callaway Razr Hawk driver. Engineered by Callaway Golf with the technology of Lamborghini made materials. Sounds expensive? $399.00 isn't too cheap. There is a cool story with this club. Callaway and Lamborghini designed a material called forged composite that is a far amount lighter than titanium. Callaway uses this material in their golf clubs, while Lamborghini uses it in their new 2011 and 2012 sports car line.

My first experience with this club was at an end of the year tournament at one of our golf courses. I actually played it as a prototype before it was even announced to the public. The looks are cool, sleek, and the driver looks like it's built for distance. Swing 1: snap hook into the woods. I can tell you this, the blistering speed I got with my worm burner, no higher than 6 feet off the ground got me through the low hanging branches and somewhat in play. Next hole I took the driver out again, push to the right. So this is good, I now have a club I can either hit to the left or the right. I wonder if the guy test driving the Lamborghini had the same results. "Well man I actually hit a tree left in the parking lot, then the car veered off to the right into a grassy field. I don't know what the heck happened, but I was moving pretty fast. Who puts a tree right in the middle of where you want to go anyway?"

I then bagged the driver and decided maybe it's the club and not my swing, HA! The third swing with this driver was taken by a fellow teammate. Practice swing looked awesome, but as soon as he hit the ball the club went flying into a bush. "Man that club sucked." All I'm thinking at this point is that the priceless prototype driver is now laying in pieces in some bush. But Callaway advertises that the forged composite is also a stronger material than titanium. Any titanium driver would've busted, so I'm giving this one an A+ for durability.

By this time in the round I'm feeling pretty confident. Standing on the 18th tee box I pull out the driver. Apparently in the tournament I played in, you're supposed to take a shot of brandy on 18 right before teeing off. Sounds pretty promising. I figured I'd at least feel good even if I hit a bad shot. So off I went, shot, swing, BOOM, right down the fairway about 295 yards. I was laughing so hard, someone had thrown a divot at my head during my follow through, that I didn't get to see the full flight.

The Callaway Razr Hawk driver provided lots of entertainment and many memories both good and bad, but all of them hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment