Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thursday tidbits 4/28/11

I'm trying to think of a way that I can justify doing this instead of working on my big final papers. There has to be some way this will help me write a chapter of a biography or a paper on modernism, right? Don't answer that. Let's move on...Tidbits are new and improved! Seriously. Videos are viewable in the blog itself! I think this is actually a pretty simple blogging skill, but remember, English majors tend to be a bit slow on the technology uptake.

A Quote

The newest Denver Bronco Von Miller on being selected 2nd overall in the 2011 draft:

"I had a flashback to all the hard work I've been putting in since little league football, and all the people telling me no or that I couldn't do it...I am extremely anxious to get into the league and prove myself."

A nice first impression from Miller. The Denver Broncos are at least a year away from being relevant, but it would sure be a nice building block to have if Miller is able to prove himself right away and put some pressure on the quarterback.

Who else is relieved that the Broncos were not serious about looking at a quarterback here? Maybe it will be Tim Tebow after all...


A Video

One of my favorite things about being a sports fan is disliking a player for no good reason. That's how I was for the last couple years about San Francisco Giants closer Brian Wilson. I just did not like him. And then the following things happened (in this order):

1. His awesome beard
2. It turns out he is a really interesting guy and a notoriously good teammate
3. His awesome beard
4. His awesome beard
5. This video (which makes me like Cody Ross too)

If for some reason you do not know who Keenan Cahill is...don't you ever waste time on YouTube? He has Maroteux Lamy Syndrome, and Brian Wilson and Cody Ross set up a fundraiser for him at the May 25th Giants game. That is great stuff.

P.S. - Brian Wilson's pants are still way too tight, and what the heck is that thing he does when he saves games anyway? Phew! Now I feel better...

A Photo

Check out this outstanding gallery of baseball players arguing with umpires. This brings a few thoughts to mind. First of all, if you are bored, you can spend time writing out the dialogue of these different arguments based on which player is in the photo. For instance, here is mine for Chicago Cubs first baseman Carlos Pena (currently batting .169): "C'mon blue. You should have called that a ball, I'll strike out on my own anyway." See how fun that is?

Secondly, I think this is one thing that any baseball player who does not play past high school (most of us) really misses out on. If you argue in high school you get suspended for the next game, your coach gets mad, blah blah blah. Just once I would have wanted to let an umpire have it and argue until I got run. Granted, I am not much for confrontations, but neither is Todd Helton who is also pictured in this gallery. 

Wait...who am I kidding? I would never do that. I felt really guilty if I tossed my helmet instead of gently placing it in its holder. If an umpire told me to give it a rest, I would say, "oh ok...I'm sorry," and then jog back to the dugout with my head down.

On the flip side, for those of you who know him, can you imagine the scene if Mike Mason could cut loose on an umpire? Bats on the field, water coolers overturned, players cowering in the corners of the dugout, mothers covering their children's eyes...and that's all before he really loses his temper. 
This is Mike. Once, when he was goalie, he choked a kid (alledgedly)

The third point I want to make is this: if I was an umpire, I would be really animated when I was ejecting a player or manager. I am talking running start, a little hop...seriously demonstrative. Just imagine if this umpire ejected somebody, and that would be me.

A Bonus Video

As the Miami Heat prepare for their series against the Boston Celtics, watch this if you have any doubt why people are fascinated with the Heat and what they do in the playoffs. If you have not seen this video, you need to watch and remind yourself that they did this before they ever played a game. It is hilarious and maddening all at the same time.


A Tweet

@reggie_bush: It's been fun New Orleans.

This was his response to the Saints drafting running back Mark Ingram in the first round tonight. The serious question here is: how were athletes supposed to pout and draw attention to themselves before Twitter? Reggie will surely get some negative attention for this, as he should.

Links

Mark Kriegel writes about the owners' side of the issue in the NFL's labor situation http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/NFL-owners-labor-argument-doesnt-hold-up-amid-draft-properity-042811

Jon Heyman on which MLB stars will be next in line for big contract extensions http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/04/28/20something.contracts/index.html?eref=sihp

No comments:

Post a Comment